In which Marni and Diana talk about Diana's experience choosing to go without an agent, and consequently, a traditional publishing deal, and the good and bad that came with her choice.
Indie Books We Lurve
We mentioned several indie pub authors in today's episode. Here is a list of some of our favs:
- The Wisteria Witches series by Angela Pepper - Smart, funny, quick reads, this adult series about a mystery-solving librarian and her daughter is on my "PREORDER NOW!" list whenever a new book comes out.
- Vintage Clothing Mysteries by Angela Sanders - An adult mystery series written by a supremely lovely fashionista and perfume connoisseur, all the books in this series are not only excellent reads, but I have learned a little more about fashion and vintage couture in every one. Also highly recommended for those of you who like Portland, Oregon. The sense of setting is strong in these books.
- Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park - A wonderful standalone New Adult romance that really delivers emotionally. But don't take my word for it. It has over 2000 reviews on Amazon and still manages a 4.5 star rating.
- Last Stop This Town by David Steinberg - This is a stand-alone about a group of teenage guys having one last adventure before they all go their separate ways. Sweet, funny, and well-written, I highly recommend this YA novel, especially if you're looking for a male-written, male-lead book.
- Wait for You by J. Lynn - I loved this contemporary New Adult romance by J. Lynn (aka Jennifer Armentrout) and the way it handled a rape survivor falling in love with a super swoony college boy. Definitely has adult content (drinking, sex, assault, um...probably some other things I’m forgetting to mention...) but the whole series is amazing. I laughed, I cried, I swooned.
- Real by Katy Evans - Another New Adult romance about a boxer who is battling far more than his opponent in the cage and a girl might just be the one to make him fall... It's sexy and sweet and I devoured the whole series. It was my gateway book into the world of Katy Evans and I fell extra hard for the male lead. I should probably mention there is drinking and sex and swearing in all of her books.
- The Deal by Elle Kennedy - Hannah Wells makes a deal with the star hockey player at her college and, oh man, it's so good! The banter! The sexy times! I have read every book in this series more times than I should probably admit. It's also the New Adult romance I usually refer to whenever I try to explain the genre. It has strong language, booze, sex, and some serious hockey smoldering.
- Chasing I Do by Marina Adair - Okay, I kinda feel like this is cheating because Marina is a dear friend of mine, but I genuinely love all her books! Her infectious sense of humor comes through brilliantly on the page. She is also the queen of banter and romantic tension. This book features a runaway bride and some sexy times with the one man she most definitely can't date... There is strong language, booze, and sex in this New Adult romance.
This episode was written and recorded by Marni Bates and Diana Rosengard.
This episode edited by Diana Rosengard.
Our theme song is "Jazz Cafe" by Jam Morgan, used under Creative Commons license, from www.taketones.com.
"I Make Words (And So Can You!)" is a Snoozletime Media production, a division of Horseshoes & Hand Grenades Publishing, LLC.